Novi High School Important Reminders
The Board of Education believes that students must wear appropriate attire in order to maintain an appropriate learning environment for education and that students' behavior is influenced by their attitude and dress. Each school has certain rules for dress that must be followed. Dress that reflects in a derogatory manner upon the race, religion, sex, or national origin of members of the student body will not be permitted.
- Whenever student attire is disruptive to classroom activity or creates a safety hazard, the student will be required to change before continuing with classes. School is a place of business and requires businesslike clothing. This means that bare midriffs, bare shoulders, short skirts or shorts, "soffe" shorts, sheer/see-through materials, halter tops, spaghetti strap tops, side-cut out shirts, hats/hoods, headgear, undershirts and visible undergarments are not permissible. Also not appropriate are any items of clothing that advertise or condone the use of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, violence, or any unauthorized organization deemed to be in conflict with school policies and practices.
- In regards to skirts, dresses, and/or shorts, we require that students cover 30% of their leg length. Leg length is determined by measuring from the top of the leg to the floor in bare feet. The skirt hem is measured from the floor in bare feet as well. Specific guidelines are available from the grade level administrator upon request. Rule of thumb: If it looks too short and you feel uncomfortable-don't wear it to school. Respect yourselves and others. Make sure your attire selections are indicative of a student who is focused on the acquisition of knowledge.
- In regards to waistlines, the top of the waistline is to be worn above the hips.
- Yoga pants are permissible, however the top must cover the bottom.
Students violating the dress code will be expected to do either of the following:
- Change into proper attire. If you don't possess proper attire you may check-out-a school issued t-shirt and sweatpants.
- Call home to request proper attire be brought to school. Students can return to class when dressed appropriately.
- Hats and other headgear will be confiscated by an adult if worn during the school day.
- First Offence: Headgear is returned at the end of the school day.
- Second Offence: Headgear is returned only to a parent/guardian.
- Third Offence: Headgear is returned at the end of the school year
If you decide to use your phone to communicate it should be used appropriately.
- Respect others. We would expect that you would take, post, and share pictures that would highlight positive school experiences.
- We expect that you will not engage in activities that would embarrass or humiliate your classmates, yourself, of Novi staff.
- Use of personal electronic devices must not violate the district policies.
- Don't walk and text at the same time.
- When entering an office, conclude your phone conversation and/or text messaging conversation.
- Remove your ear buds or headphones PRIOR to entering the classroom.
- Be on time for classes and don't allow technology to be an excuse for not putting your best foot forward here at NHS.
- Don't leave class to use your cell phone
- Music should be played at a reasonable level so it is not distracting to others.
No outside vendor deliveries will be allowed during the school day. Parents/guardians may drop off lunch to students.
- Take pride in your school by cleaning up after yourself.
- Always use appropriate language, volume and tone.
- Be kind to fellow classmates, faculty and staff.
- Report spills and accidents to our custodians and support staff.
- Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.